Tuesday, November 08, 2005

~:D E C O * E L E G A N T:~
I recently designed invitations for a client who wanted the work to be heavily influenced by the Art Deco movement. I instantly had flashbacks of Hank's History of Design Class at Portfolio Center - oh, about 9 years ago. (Sheese!) This image of a book cover blows me away. It could have been done today. It's busy, but understated. Complex, but with a think selection of elements that all speak to each other. This hidden and graceful language of shapes and rhythm.

So back to the creative process.... I needed to do some research to refresh my brain. As I began to work, I had just acquired (OK stole) a bunch of music by the Starseeds. I surfed for about a day, filling my head with familiar and not so familiar art deco images, all the while, listening to music that's kinda spacey, techy, funky, and modern. And then it dawned on me that the images I saw could be described with the same words. I mean, we're talking about the 20's and 30's, right? Amazing. This pattern I would like to plaster all over my house. It's even beautiful in black and white. You have structure and grace dancing. Maybe that's just what dancing is.

If you'd like to see all the images I collected (OK stole) and what I was listening to at the time, go to my dot mac site to check out the little movie I made. It will give you an idea of the inner space I was shot into while working. Sometimes I wonder if I should be in textiles. I could sit for hours and sink into patterns. And I can really sink when type and image work together to create pattern, like the image you see here. When space is designed and I find myself resting on a page, I am so relieved to find someone has worked it all out for me - all the chaos and endless of varieties of choices have all been made for me. You've done all the hard work and I follow. Design is structured passion. Man, what a combination.

1 comment:

k said...

kickarse.