World famous calligrapher Tim Botts will be here to do a workshop on Sat. & Sun., Sept. 8th and 9th! The name of the workshop is International Flavors and below is Tim's description:
Attached is a graphic composite of several pieces Tim has done, inspired by other writing systems to give us an idea of what type of work will be done in the workshop.
"We will begin by looking at sheets of other writing systems, both old and new, and use them as take off points to create our own alphabets, using some of the techniques typeface designers employ in creating new typefaces. Like world music, this will give you the opportunity to celebrate the rich diversity of patterns that exist beyond our European writing tradition. Bring several texts of different ethnic backgrounds to share from which you will be able to express the new style of lettering you have made."
Unbelievably, there are still a few spaces open!
Sign up now by writing FOTA'S own Hilde Friese at firstname.lastname@example.org
When: Sat & Sun, Sept. 8th & 9th from 9am to 4pm.
Where: Village Corner Restaurant & Bakery in Stone Mountain.
• Sumi ink (esp. in the short green bottle)
• Gouache in primary colors plus white (optional: gold)
• Pointed Asian brush with 1 1/2"-2" long bristles
• Chisel-edged nibs (esp. the nine sizes of Brause)
• Watercolor flat brushes (two or three)
• Speedball B-series nibs in several sizes (round)
• Ruling, popcan or butterfly pen
• Bond or photocopier paper (11 x 14" or 11 x 17")
• Charcoal paper in several colors (11 x 14")
Post a Comment