Friday, December 02, 2011

Come sit next to me in Reggie's Class


Hallo fellow Inkers,

On the Saturday morning of February 11th, I will be taking my first Reggie Ezell Calligraphy workshop called Primitive to Modern, presented by The Atlanta Friends of the Alphabet (FOTA). It lasts all year long and meets every other month from February to December.

This class is my big christmas present this year and I am so excited about how much it will stretch me into new areas of personal and professional growth. My intention is to channel the numerous epiphanies I've had over the past 3 years into the techniques I learn from Reggie. I will have six chances to express myself and I intend to use every one of them.

Though you've probably already received and email from me soliciting you for your participation, I am sending one more and crossing my fingers as I do. We are having a little trouble filling the class to its maximum, thereby making it more affordable and fun for all. Right now we have 9 students and the maximum is 15. We need six more soul searching, ink dipping, and paper loving enthusiasts to come join in the fun! Won't you come sit next to me? Below is the info sent previously - ask the Santa in your house to be extra generous with you!

XO,
~Anne

My good friend & artist Victoria Landsford is currently finishing up another workshop by Reggie this year and I've been drooling over the works she's done, progress made and stories, techniques with new materials she's told me about... everything she's learned from the experience. I've also heard a lot of other warm stories from other FOTA members about Reggie's approach, his attention to detail in his work, how he presents information to his students, how he structures his classes. Not one moment or opportunity for the sharing of information is wasted in his classes and I understand it to be a very fulfilling and intense experience.

For me as a calligrapher, I see this first as fun and nourishing (why else would I do it, right?) and second as an investment in my personal & professional growth. Every time I take a workshop, I've added a new set of skills and tools to my studio and waste no time in applying them to my work. The benefits are immediate as new clients arrive like magic to sample and purchase new work. It really is a beautiful cycle. I do more, make more, buy more, learn more, sell more... and it's all art, all love.

I also can't say enough about the social aspects of participating in workshops. I find it fun and nourishing. I leave each class feeling very loved, whether taking a class or teaching it.

Victoria can answer your questions about the class and Mamie Valez is accepting payments/deposits.

Learn more about Reggie, his approach and to see examples of the work that comes out of his classes.

Here is more info about Primitive to Modern.


Please join us for this rare opportunity to study with Reggie Ezell in one of his year long workshop series, presented by the Friends of the Alphabet.

The techniques and topics covered include:

•Modernizing a Traditional Calligraphic Hand

•Writing Using Color and Gilding on Vellum

•Illumination on Vellum, inspired byThe Book of Kells and Codex Aureus

•Gilding on Vellum Stained with Brazilwood Dye

•Modernizing Design aka “Over the Edge: Deconstructing the Grid”

•Experiencing the Book as a New Structure

Class meets on the following dates:
from approx 8:30 am-6:30pm at The Mendez Art and Education Foundation, Atlanta, GA:

Feb 11 & 12 

Apri 14 &15

June 9 & 10 

Aug 4 & 5

Oct 27 & 28 

Dec 1 & 2

Cost: $1460. for the year based on enrollment of 15 (+approx $20/class for supplies that Reggie brings)Deposit of $100 required to hold your spot. Three and six installment payment plans will be available. The tuition is an estimate, based on airfare and venue. Any money leftover will be refunded at the end of the year.

Send deposit checks to
Mamie Valez
6135 Grand Marina Circle
Gainesville, GA 30506

About Reggie:
"Reggie Ezell is an internationally known calligrapher and lettering artist. For the last 18 years his independent courses in calligraphy, letter design, and innovative materials and techniques have been among the most highly regarded and sought after in the world. For a decade he was an instructor at Loyola University and the Newberry Library of Chicago. His works and writings appear all over the world in galleries, libraries, books, and periodicals. His most current works are three dimensional: sandblasted into redwood, 3 x 5 foot panels of figbark with gilding on impastoed acrylic, and sculptures in Utah alabaster with images and words emerging out of the undulating surfaces."

For examples (to drool over) and more info, please visit ReggieEzell.com.

Primitive to Modern: Year Long Workshop Series with Reggie Ezell
If you have any questions regarding the class, please email Victoria at
victoria@victorialansford.com

No comments: