Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fabulous Fractur

Hello Friends,

This past weekend I spent at the Fractur Calligraphy Workshop with Barbara Calzolari. It had been 5 years since I had the luxury of being the student again. It rocked my world, inspired me and terrified me in many meaningful ways.
It was big.






Below are all the dinky photos I took this weekend. Some are my exercises, some are examples from a book brought in all about calligraphic numbers and the big ones are Barbara's demonstrations.

Take a close look at how many strokes it takes to make a letterform.
Also take notice how similar the strokes are in each alphabetic family.
Just like building a typeface, all characters share the same DNA. AND take a good long look at the rhythmic unity in each approach. Just so beautiful. She's badass. And she was delightful and fun. I think Binders and PC should team up and invite her out here for a visit.



You just wait and see and we'll make it happen. Yay!

No comments: