Sunday, August 08, 2010

Pretty Dirty

Cheeky design has always been around. But I believe Cheeky Calligraphy is something new. And I think we're going to see a lot of it in the first publication of the Communication Arts Typography Annual.

I've made it in CA years ago through my design work. Now it's time I come full circle and throw down some serious ink. Even if nothing I enter gets published, I can't wait to get my hands on the first issue. Worth its weight in gold, it'll be so inspiring to see what everyone's been up to with their pens, pencils and ink. Hand lettering has never been celebrated and taken as seriously as it is now. And what I love about this new trend is that no tool is considered sacred. If James Victore can make magic with a china marker and Marian Bantjes with a ball point pen, well then so can I. :)

I'll bet after a few years, they'll even make a category for envelopes. Take a look at these beauties done by Bill Lilly from Jane Farr's site.



Deadline for entries is September 1oth. Wooooo hoooooo!

No comments: