Sunday, March 08, 2015

Private Calligraphy Instruction

A student at my studio table for a private Copperplate Calligraphy lesson.
My name is Anne Elser, and I'm the calligraphy teacher you've been looking for. I am dying to meet you! After a private lesson, my students leave my home feeling calm and centered, having spent a delicious two and a half hours of focused study, learning a new skill based on something timeless and beautiful, and in the very room where I practice my craft. 

I teach because it makes me happy. 
I also love those epiphanic moments where I see the student turn a corner after having discovered something new. Writing and drawing clears the head and opens up windows of self discovery. It changes you. There you are with nothing but a pot of ink, an instrument to write with, and a blank white page waiting for your touch. It allows you to leave all the chaos of your life at the door and focus on something new, simple, and pure. And that's what you leave a lesson with: knowledge and experience with a new, simple, and pure part of yourself. 

I teach mostly to learn. It feels more like shared learning, than teaching to me. Writing and drawing is a very intimate experience. It's just you and the paper -  all I do is facilitate the beginning of a new relationship with yourself. I teach you how to pace yourself, how to place yourself, and more importantly how to love yourself as you learn the craft of calligraphy. 

During a private lesson (and a workshop), we listen to music that inspires as we go. Much of it is here in my Spotify Calligraphy Playlist. Though many times a student will suggest something new that we both enjoy - so my calligraphy "soundtrack" keeps growing. 
Me demonstrating for Propose. Photo by Dana Lee Jones Photography.
PRIVATE LESSONS: If you're interested in private calligraphy lessons in Copperplate or Italic, I offer 2.5-hour sessions at $200.00 for each student. Other subjects you might be interested in include monogramming, envelope layout, flourishing, and more. Handouts are supplied. Your personalized lesson is conducted in my private home studio in Decatur, GA.

The Original Petal pod Inkwell I designed and sell exclusively at Binders Art Supply.
To reserve a private lesson slot on my calendar, a non-refundable deposit of $100.00 is required. The best time for a lesson is after breakfast on a Saturday or weekday morning from 10AM to 12:30.

Call 404.509.9676 or e-mail me at

Copperplate Tuesday evening class at Binders Buckhead.
Make sure you check out the calligraphy supply list of links and inspiration article I wrote here.

This is Lennie's first Private calligraphy lesson.
GROUP LESSONS: All year round, I teach both calligraphy group classes and workshops at Binders Art School in Buckhead or Ponce City Market, and Spruill Center for the Arts in Dunwoody. Both are excellent locations and wonderful people to work with. My students and I have a great time together, honing our craft and discovering together how completely relaxing, centering, enchanting, and entertaining the art of writing beautiful letters can be. Here's what my Calligraphy students have to say about their experiences.

Please feel free to write and ask me questions about whether a workshop, class, or private lesson is best for you. They all have advantages and value - just placed in different ways.


Copperplate Wednesday night Class at Binders Buckhead

Copperplate Calligraphy Weekend Workshop at Binders Buckhead


Masha said...

Oh,this sounds amazing! I would love to have a calligraphy lesson from you - since I love your calligraphy - but unfortunately I live thousands of miles away - in Bulgaria.

But I'd love to know where I can by this inkwell from.

All best,

Anne-Davnes Dusenberry Elser said...

The inkwell is called a Petal Pod and I make and sell them through Binders.

Here's a link to the product page: