Monday, July 21, 2008
New Calligraphy Class at Binders
You can now sign up for my new Calligraphy class at Binders here.
Calligraphy Class (CLASS 2 8/20-9/24)
Instructor: Anne Elser
Wednesdays, 6 sessions, Aug.20-Sept.24
Are you fascinated with how beautiful calligraphy looks and want to try it yourself? This is an introductory look at two major calligraphic faces, Copperplate and Blackletter. They're both very different from each other, which should give the student a nice balance of styles within which to experiment. Calligraphy is less about pretty handwriting, but more about DRAWING each and every letter. It's about establishing a pacing and rhythmic motion as you write - giving you a consistency of shapes and letters, and spaces in between words and lines. It is highly relaxing and meditative. Like yoga for the hands.
Towards the end of the class, we'll be experimenting with a more colorful and modern approach to calligraphy,
using the folded pen nib and colored inks.
Students will be given handouts and guide sheets for both Copperplate and Blackletter. We will also address spacing and layout for addressing envelopes. For the modern calligraphic work, we will be working more intuitively.
1. Pad of market layout paper: 9'' x 12'' (Canson® Pro Layout. 50 sheets per pad.)
2. Mechanical pencil.
4. Cork-backed metal ruler (any size you're comfortable with)
5. Dinky Dips® & holder. (or any other inkwell)
6. Oblique Pen Point Holder (for Copperplate.)
7. Fine Pen Point Nibs (for Copperplate.)
9. Speedball® C Pen Set (penholder and six nibs.)
10. KY Series Sumi Ink from Yasutomo®. (6 oz. black rectangular bottle.)
For Modern Calligraphy
11. Palette paint tray 6 or 9 well.
12. Bombay India Ink® 1 oz bottles. Any color(s).
13. New Horizon Folded Nib®.
14. Container of Wet Wipes (to clean your nibs and hands).
Suggested web sites:
77. www.friendsofthealphabet.org (Atlanta Calligraphy Guild)